Battlefield campaigner to fight 1066 rejection ruling

0
Have your say

AN ANTI-link road campaigner has given English Heritage a deadline of April 19 to rethink its rejection of Crowhurst as the original site of the 1066 Battle of Hastings.

Michael Bernard, from Bexhill, claims English Heritage’s refusal to register the Combe Haven Valley as a battlefield is unlawful and is asking for the “fundamentally flawed” initial assessment report to be revoked. If this does not happen by next Friday he will appeal for a judicial review.

He is challenging English Heritage’s decision on grounds there is need to preserve the possible landing and battlefield sites for prosperity.

He has criticised the organisation on various grounds including failing to take a fair and balanced approach and taking into account “irrelevant considerations” by relying on planning inquiries.

Mr Bernard’s solicitor has asked English Heritage to review its decision and “to undertake a further detailed assessment of the of the battle site registration.” He has asked for costs in reviewing and responding to the first report.

Mr Bernard also believes that ESCC is attempting to alter its planning application claiming to have made “non-material amendment” and said: “These are significant material changes - including eliminating a flood storage tank and pumping station, deleting an over-bridge, deleting a dedicated bus lane, deleting a crossing for pedestrians and cyclists, and replacing an equestrian bridge with a ford.”

English Heritage rejected a bid to amend the location of the Battle of Hastings earlier this month. The organisation said there was “no significant evidence” to prove the battle was fought at Crowhurst.

A English Heritage spokesperson said: “A number of early sources for the battle, including records written within living memory of the event together with the peculiar plan and difficult hillside location of Battle Abbey, provide the most compelling grounds for the abbey being built on the site of the Battle of Hastings.”

He added that no archaeological evidence had been found to link Upper Wilting with the events surrounding the Battle of Hastings.