- If you are not already a member of the Beckley Horticultural Society you might be interested in joining.
Being an Olympic and diamond jubilee year the society has arranged a full programme of events, holding four shows, plant and produce and coffee mornings.
Membership can be as little as £3 for the whole year.
Please contact Frank Nunneley membership secretary 01797260296. Why not come along on Tuesday 6th march 7:30pm at Beckley village centre for a glass of wine and meet new friends and get to see what the society does during the year.
Dates for the shows to put in your diary Spring show Saturday 14th April 2pm, plant produce cake sale and coffee morning Saturday may 12th 10:30, sweet pea and rose show Saturday 16th June 2pm, summer show Saturday July 28th 2pm, autumn show Saturday September 22nd 2pm, AGM and social evening Monday November 26th 7:30pm.
- Ladies do you have a top that’s too tight?
Shoes that you no longer take a shine too? A skirt that’s too short or a dress that’s no longer to your taste? If so please donate them to “Sarah’s Closet”.
She is looking for good condition / nearly new/designer/good brand items (not jumble) to sell possibly at the Easter Fair and need your help!
If everyone donates one item of clothing she will have a stalls worth!
The items will then be sold for reasonable rates in order to help raise funds to replace the village clock.
The clock will hang on the school to commemorate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
If you have an item to donate drop off at The Spinners Main Street. Many thanks. Sarah Batehup
- DOG WALKERS be aware that there is illegal trapping and snares in all the woods.
Also there have been sightings of a red Peugeot car with a white roof. This person is wanted by the police for trapping and poaching. Dial 999 if you see him.
Simon Marr the deer warden was very keen for us to help with eyes and ears. This is quite a serious worry at the moment.
- Would you like to learn more about how to get the best from your computer?
Or are you a terrified person who wants to start from the beginning.
We have someone who is very interested in starting up Beckley Computer Club again.
They want to put out this idea for Beckley and surrounding villages from the young to the retired, male and female, experienced professionals and terrified new users.
If you or know someone who would like to join this club please email email@example.com or call 01797 260 737.
- A good many matters came before members of the Parish Council at their monthly evening PC meeting.
Two items in particular councillors believed would benefit from villagers help.
- Firstly, in this the Queen’s Jubilee year, the Parish Council proposes to plant a number of parkland trees on the Recreation Ground to replace dead and dying trees placed there some thirty years ago.
It will of course be sixty to a hundred years before these new trees will reach their maturity and grace this open space in the centre of the parish.
The cost of the proposed trees ranges from about £55 to £8 and councillors wondered if local individuals or businesses might like to donate a tree for themselves and future generations to enjoy.
See clerk’s details below if you are at all interested.
- Secondly, members of the PC thought it was about time they had their own website to communicate to the whole wide world as well as the good parishioners of Beckley.
So again, if you have some IT skills or advice that you would be able to offer, the Council members would be most grateful.
Any comments or offers of help concerning either tree donations or IT skills please communicate with our Parish Clerk – Valerie Ades – e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone during office hours – 01424 751550.
Next PC meeting is on March 14th at 7.30 pm in the Village Centre
- Fitness classes. Monday night at Northiam Village Hall 7.45pm: Boxing Fitness
Tuesday evening at Northiam Sports Hall 6.30pm: Core & Posture
Friday morning at Northiam Village Hall 9.30am (except the last Friday of each month): Circuit Training using essential fitness exercises.
The classes are for all ages and abilities.
The boxing fitness is designed to improve cardiovascular fitness, the core and posture class is ideal for improving abdominal strength and physical awareness and the circuit training class is a mixture of exercises to improve overall strength and stamina.
The classes are £6 for adults and £3 for under 18’s.
If you would like more information please contact Scott Mason on 07952609025 or visit the website www.excelfitpro.co.uk
- Beckley Village Walking group. We meet up on a Sunday morning at the Beckley village centre.
Our aim is to build up to a 13 mile sponsored power walk at the end of May/early June.
For more information email email@example.com or call 01797 260843
- Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people with prams, small children.
Meaning they have to walk on the road. There are still cars being parked along the main street especially by the old chapel and causing people to put themselves at risk walking on the road especially at night.
Please can people not mount the pavements when parking their vehicles.
PC Nigel Collins was told about this but if you wish to report this problem call 07787 685691 or 0845 6070999.
- Exciting new website group called Bargains in Beckley.
Setup for locals to sell items they no longer need and want to sell, if you are looking for something why not try posting a wanted post.
No selling fees like most internet sites.
Just go on face book and enter bargains in Beckley and join this free group we have over 60 members now selling all their goodies.
- BINGO NIGHT! Beckley Village Hall, Saturday March 10th 7.30pm.
All Villagers welcome please bring your own drinks & nibbles ADMISSION.
Bring a prize suitable for raffle/bingo & £1 a game (max 8 games) Older children welcome 50p per game.
Proceeds to BSA’s Beckley Village Clock Appeal.
- So that residents are aware they can contact our District Councillor Ian Jenkins via e mail.
This will help the parish by giving you more immediate responses to questions or concerns. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dog fouling isn’t just unpleasant, it’s illegal. Dog owners have a responsibility to clear up after their pets, those that don’t can face fines of up to £1,000.
There have been many reports in the main street right next to the dog fouling bins! If you would like to make a dog fouling complaint please phone 01424 787000 if you don’t make this call they will keep letting their dogs do it.
- Beckley Preschool aim to provide activities and equipment in a relaxed and happy atmosphere so that children will progress in all areas of development and become independent in preparation for school.
We believe that a child’s first experience in a learning environment should lay a good foundation for their enjoyment of education and discovering new experiences.
Beckley Preschool opening times are: Mornings 9.00am - 12.00pm Monday to Friday. Lunch Club 12.00pm - 1.00pm Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Please call Beckley Preschool for further information: 01797 260582 or visit their website www.bpnn.co.uk .
- Nifty Nippers is a physical exercise & movement class for pre-school children from 1 year of age, which also incorporates learning such as colours, counting, opposites, and parts of the body. Adults join in too! - It’s a fun and exciting way to spend quality time with your child! Each class costs £3.50 per child.
For more information or to book your FREE trial class you can telephone Michelle on 07769 713073, email email@example.com, visit www.niftynippers.co.uk or find them on Facebook. Classes are also being held at Rye and Camber.
- Beckley Village Centre is available to hire. By people hiring and supporting fund raising events put on by the hall committee it will keep the hiring costs down.
Why not book a Children’s party, wedding reception or conference. For further information on charges and hall bookings call Margaret Lenton 01797260420
- Why not join one of the many groups held in Beckley village centre.
Pilates every Wednesdays 1.30pm contact Sarah Lush 07769651899
Taekwondo every Wednesdays 4.30pm contact Petra Darvill 01233 330128
Beckley Trefoil Guild meets Third Monday of the month in the Small Hall at 7.30
Trefoil Guild is the Non- Uniformed Section of Girl Guiding an organisation of over 20,000 members mostly made up of women and men who have been and still are connected with Guiding and Scouting.
Monday 20th Feb is our AGM for more information contact our Secretary Julie 252404
Guides Wednesdays 6.30pm contact Pam Colgrave 01797 253177
Brownies Thursday 6.30pm
Table Tennis every Thursday mornings awaiting new contact details.
Yoga every Friday mornings contact Evelyn Lamb 260569
Friends of Beckley Church Coffee Morning 1st Tuesday 10.30am
WI 2nd Monday 7.30pm contact Ann Jones 260527
Regular monthly Council Meetings are held in the Village Centre’s Meeting Room. Every 2nd Wednesday at 730.
Village Lunch 2nd Thursday 12.30pm bookings Lila Bryant 260518
History Society Friday evenings contact Dennis Ward 260313
Rye Creative Stitchers workshops contact Paula Winnings 01797 224521
Beckley horticultural society 01797 260232
Beckley players 01797 230572
Beckley bowls club 01797 252129
- Residents of the village may like to also join Beckley village society; it’s been set up to inform villagers of the goings on in Beckley by an email informing you of everything from fetes, fairs, sport events and future housing planning. To join just send your name to firstname.lastname@example.org or join our Facebook group Beckley Village Society with over 90 members now let’s make it over 100!
- If you see anything suspicious in the village please call PC Nigel Collins 07787 685691 or 0845 6070999.
- Correspondence from James Mitchell, Public Affairs Manager at Royal Mail Group.
I am pleased to see that the intention is for the post box to be repaired at the cross roads of Kings Bank & Furnace Lane within seven days
- To put something in this column please email me by 10am Monday to make Friday’s column at: email@example.com
Deborah Swann Beckley Main Street