Council cuts funding for clerk’s leaving do

BATTLE Town Council has halved funding put aside for a community event to say goodbye to the outgoing town clerk.

Last month councillors voted to set aside £1,200 for the event to mark the departure of Peter Mills, who has been in the role for 13 years.

But Cllr Richard Jessop challenged the amount, arguing it was too much to spend on an event which would only be open to 80-100 invited guests.

He argued the council could potentially face a financial penalty from the auditors.

But Cllr Paula Fisher said that on reflection, the committee organising the event had decided the amount put aside was too high.

Speaking at a town council meeting on Tuesday evening, she said: “Yes, we did take a rather quick decision at the previous meeting.

“Since then I have been delighted to get in touch with certain parties over the event and I can assure you it will be under £600.”

Cllr Jessop thanked Cllr Fisher and withdrew a motion he had tabled to ensure councillors complied with expenditure regulations and requesting the council open the event up to all Battle residents.

Vice chairman, Cllr Sylvie Pry, responded: “It was a shame Cllr Jessop could not have spoken to the councillors involved before tabling this motion and wasting our time.”

The community event is set to take place at Battle Memorial Hall on Thursday July 25, to be attended by the town’s community leaders.