BATTLE’S annual bonfire celebrations could be moved to an alternative date for 2013.
A source from a neighbouring bonfire society claims Battel Bonfire Boyes are considering switching the date of the event in a bid to keep crowd numbers down.
The BBB website currently lists the event as due to take place on Saturday November 2.
But rumours suggest it could be moved to Tuesday November 5 - clashing with the biggest bonfire celebrations in the UK at Lewes.
Last year BBB were forced to find a new firesite at the eleventh hour after heavy rain and the annual 1066 re-enactment took its toll on the battlefield.
A scaled-backed bonfire took place on the Abbey Green.
In a bid to keep crowd numbers down, visitors from outside the area were discouraged from attending.
The event was hailed a success a with some branding it ‘the best bonfire since ‘95’ - the last time it was held on the Green.
English Heritage, which owns the 1066 battlefield, has said no major events will take place on the site in 2013, to allow the damaged field time to recover.
Battel Bonfire Boyes say discussions are still ongoing and a final decision on a date and location have yet to be made.
Matt Southam, spokesperson for the Battel Bonfire Boyes, said: “With recent rumours surrounding the date and venue of Battle’s annual bonfire celebrations we can confirm that there are currently discussions amongst both the members of BBB and the emergency services regarding this years event.
“With the battlefield out of use in 2013 we have a number of options, none of which are without their own problems.
“The decision will only be taken once full discussions have taken place with the relevant emergency services and the membership.
“BBB would like to stress no decision has been made yet but we aim to ensure the residents and business within the town are informed as soon as we have some news.”