- Two services this Sunday, February 26. Firstly, there is Morning Praise at St Andrews at 10.30 am, with the service being led by Penny Button and Rev Francis Willoughby, and then there will be an Informal Communion, led by Rev Kay Burnett, at 6.00 pm at St Peters in the heart of the village.
- The Funeral Service for Hugh Gallagher will take place at St Mary Star of the Sea at 3 pm today, to be followed by committal at St Andrews, Fairlight
- It’s good news week… The latest issue of the ever popular Fairlight News will be, if not on the newsstands, at least your doormat very shortly now. A ‘bumper edition’ is promised!
- Two important dates… coming up for the Activate Youth Club.
The first is their AGM on Wednesday, March 7 at 7.30 pm in the clubhouse, on Fairlight Recreation Ground.
This is open to all, especially those with an interest in the life of the village’s young people.
Secondly, Activate has planned a Bingo Night on Friday, March 9, starting at 7.30 pm, in the village hall. Go along and enjoy the fun, the bar and supper.
It will only cost you £5 per person.
- Does what it says on the tin…! The Village Choir enjoyed a fun get-together on Monday, February 13, which involved a musical quiz, nibbles and… singing!
But of course; what else would you expect?
The Choir will next meet on Monday next, February 27, starting at 7.30 pm at Pett Chapel, as usual.
- Make it snappy… Here’s early warning of the Photo competition in advance of the Fairlight Village Music and Arts Festival on Sunday, August 26.
Now while that may well be the full title of the event, everyone will know it is the promised return of Fairfest, a super ‘brand name’ quickly accepted by so many nearly two years ago.
They had a photo competition with the first festival, and here it is again. The categories this time round are the seasons - Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter, and you need to get your skates on to capture your wintry shots as soon as possible, as the weather seems to be getting a bit ahead of itself.
Entrants are allowed three shots each, and each entry should be no larger than 7” x 5”. The competition is divided into age sections - Under 12’s, 12 to 18, and Adults.
Just write your name, address, phone number and the age category in which you are entering on the back of each shot, and submit it, or them, to either Wendy Hatch, Tamarisk, Shepherd’s Way or Norman Dengate, 1 Heather Way by Saturday, August 18. You’ll be reminded later!
- Flicks in the Village… is on in Pett village hall next Thursday, March 1 at 7 for 7.30 pm, when the film showing will be the acclaimed remake of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.
Gary Oldman and John Hurt, in particular, have received rave reviews.
See it for yourself, and some will even be able to compare it with the Alec Guinness TV mini-series of 33 years ago.
- All Hail to the Chef… The Cove and the Hayloft Restaurant welcome new chef Tony Fisher, with his 17 years of international experience, to their staff.
- Paying big dividends…? The Fairlight Growers Community, a newly formed co-operative, is seeking to recruit 20 people to tend and grow vegetables, herbs and flowers on 2½ acres on the edge of the village.
Each participant will be required to pay £50, and to commit to 50 hours a year for planting, weeding and harvesting.
Each fortnight there will be a share-out of whatever is in season, at selected distribution sites in Fairlight and Hastings.
Those 2½ acres equate to 90 feet by 60 feet per person, which would frighten the life out of me, though of course it will not be working like that!
If you would like more details get in touch with email@example.com, or simply phone Joanna on 07976 845 768
- Take an interest… the next meeting of the Parish Council will be in the village hall on Tuesday next, February 28, commencing at 7 pm.
Hear what is happening and what is planned for our village, and even have your say at the end of the meeting.
- The Gardening Club’s A.G.M. will be on Monday April 2.
It will be held in St Peter’s Church on Broadway, because they will, by then, be decorating the Village Hall.
Subscriptions are now due for this year and they can be paid either at the March talk or at the Trading Hut on Saturday mornings from 10 am until noon - and you could also get all your gardening needs at the same time.
The AGM will be the ‘Bring and Share’ event that was cancelled in February due to the snow.
Keith Pollard Brookfield Broadway