BATTLE firefighters prevented a potentially devastating forest fire on Sunday (August 18).
Fire crews were called to woodland off Kane Hythe Road, Battle, just before 1.30pm.
They arrived on the scene to find an area of woodland floor measuring 15 square metres was smouldering, deep inside the woods.
The blaze had already started to spread.
It was quickly extinguished.
Firefighters say they do not believe the fire was started deliberately.
A carelessly discarded cigarette could have been to blame.
Crew manager Dan Burnett said: “It was spreading outwards , all be it very slowly.
“But if the wind had picked up, it could have increased the spread quite quickly.”