MORE than 1,200 people have signed a petition to help save Battle Fire Station from being downgraded to retained status.
And campaigner Kevin Lawrence is urging those against the proposal to make their views known before the ten-week consultation period closes on Monday (April 28).
Kevin, who runs Dapper W clothing store in Battle, started the Save Battle Fire Station Facebook page and organised a protest march earlier this month, alongside outspoken campaigner Helen Ashenheim.
He said the public support for the campaign has been “fantastic”.
Kevin said: “We had over 1,000 signatures on the first batch and I reckon we have got over 200 on the second round.
“It’s really a push now to get people to make sure they have completed the survey.”
He added: “The support from the public has been fantastic and everyone has got behind it.
“The support of the march was absolutely amazing and the fact it was rubbish weather and people still turned out in force was great.”
Meanwhile the Observer’s Stand Up For Battle campaign has also received an excellent response, with hundreds of coupons coming in from readers from across the Battle, Hastings, Bexhill and Rye areas and even as far afield as Eastbourne and Kent.
The East Sussex Fire Authority will make a decision on the fate of Battle Fire Station in June.
To make your views known, fill in the official East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service consultation questionnaire by visiting www.esfrs.org/publicconsultation
And you can contact members of the Fire Authority directly - visit www.esfrs.org/fa/members.shtml for contact details for all 18 members.