DCSIMG

Man seriously hurt after 
being crushed by caravan

HEALTH and safety concerns have been raised after a man was crushed under a static caravan in Battle.

Emergency services raced to the scene at Loose Farm Cottages in Hastings Road at 12.30pm on Saturday (June 7), following reports that two people had become trapped under the caravan after a jack had apparently collapsed.

By the time Battle firefighters and paramedics from the South East Coast Ambulance Service (SECAmb) arrived on the scene, the caravan had been removed from the casualties.

One of the men had suffered serious crush injuries to his chest.

The Kent, Surrey and Sussex Air Ambulance was called to the scene, but the 27-year-old was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton by land ambulance, accompanied by air ambulance paramedics.

Although the man’s injuries were serious, his condition was not thought to be life-threatening.

A 38-year-old man suffered minor injuries and was taken to the Conquest Hospital in Hastings for treatment.

It is believed that the two men were trying to move the caravan on to the back of a trailer when the accident happened.

Police were also called to the scene, but are taking no further action.

A spokesperson for Sussex Police said: “There were no suspicious circumstances and the matter has been passed to the Health & Safety Executive to deal with.”

A spokesperson for HSE confirmed they were looking into the incident and will decide whether a formal investigation should be launched.

He told the Observer: “It is something we are aware of.

“We are making enquiries at this stage.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page