A huge blaze broke out in a barn in Whatlington on Wednesday afternoon (March 29).
The structure in Mill Lane, which was used as a workshop and to store cars, caught fire just before 3.20pm.
By the time firefighters from Battle arrived on the scene, the 15 metres by 15 metres building was already well alight.
The team was quickly joined by crews from Bohemia Road, The Ridge, Broad Oak and Bexhill fire stations, along with specialist vehicles from Uckfield and Crowborough fire stations.
There were fears the blaze could spread to a neighbouring aviary, but luckily firefighters managed to keep the flames away.
Crew commander Jon Baker, from Battle Fire Station, said: “It was a severe fire. We were there until approximately 9pm and we returned again the next morning for re-inspection.
“There was extensive damage to both the building itself and the contents.”
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
The blaze comes just one month after a barn in Brown Bread Street, Ashburnham, was affected by a major fire.
An investigation revealed that blaze had started accidentally.
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.ryeandbattleobserver.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/RyeandBattleObserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @BattleObs
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Rye and Battle Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.