1. The Parish Council meeting on 13th March covered a range of issues. Local District Councillor, Bob White reported that Rother continues to look for savings whilst at the same time freezing Council Tax for the current year.
Colin Harmer reminded everyone that dogs need to be kept under close control at all times and especially at this time of the year as they could disturb ground nesting birds or threaten lambing.
Ian Turner from British Gypsum reported that the new storage facility and the restoration of the former Ready Mixed Concrete site to it’s original natural state projects are both well under way.
The Annual Parish Assembly will be held at 7pm on Tuesday 10th April in the Village Hall. Jim Ray will give his Chairman’s Report and there will be reports from all of the village clubs and societies. The Guest Speaker will be Tom French from British Gypsum who will talk about the restoration of the old RMC site.
2. On 28th March, a leaving do was held for Mr Joseph Hellett Headteacher of Mountfield and Whatlington CE School since 2003. Leeford Place was the venue for this event which was attended by staff, governors and some former members of staff and governors.
On 29th March, a special assembly was held at the school. Mr Hellett was presented with cards made by the children, a dvd containing messages from the children, some presents and a cake. A tree house is being given to the school from Mr Hellett which they will no doubt will enjoy playing in.
Good Luck for his new appointment as Headteacher of Sacred Heart Catholic Primary School in Hastings.
3. Twenty four people made up seven teams for the quiz night at Mountfield Club on 31st March. Steve Smith did a fantastic job as Quizmaster. Glen and Sue prepared a lovely buffet which was enjoyed during the interval. Congratulations to the “Hillbillies” who gained the most points. Martin Overy had the winning ticket for the big Easter Egg which he very kindly gave to me. Thanks Martin and I promise I will share it!. Everybody there had a nice time so thanks to everyone involved in organising it.
4. Belated congratulations to Dennis and Elsie Smith Who celebrated their Golden Wedding Anniversary on 3rd March.
5. Eight people dined out with Mountfield Lunch Club on 2nd April. They enjoyed a good lunch at Leeford Place and were waited on by Betty who very kindly took their tea and coffee into the comfy seating area which was much appreciated.
6. There will be an hour of Contemplation and Reflection at Netherfield Church today ( Good Friday ) at 12 noon conducted by Rev’d John Hawkins.
Also, at Netherfield Church on Easter Sunday at 10a.m there will be a celebration of Holy Communion conducted by Rev’d Malcolm Elwis
7. There is going to be a Jubilee and Olympic themed Fete in Solomon’s Lane, Mountfield on Saturday 23rd June. There will be a meeting about this in May, date to be arranged. Helpers are needed to set up and clear away on the day. Also, cakes for a stall and teas, barbecue food, raffle prizes, plants, chocolate for the tombola, marquees/tents and parking attendants are needed. If you can help in any way or want further information, please ring 01580 882107. The organisers would like to thank people who have already made offers.
8. If you have any material for this voice, please let me have it by 6p.m on Monday evenings. email@example.com or telephone 01580 881390. Thanks..
Heather Mulligan, 15 Eatenden Lane