Plastic on hob started Battle kitchen fire

Fire & Rescue East Sussex
Fire & Rescue East Sussex

Firefighters from Battle and Hastings were called to tackle a fire in a kitchen on Monday afternoon (April 11).

The crews raced to Asten Fields, Battle, shortly before 4pm following reports of a cooker fire.

Crew commander Jon Baker, from Battle Fire Station, said: “Some materials had been left on the hob and the hob was switched on.

“It was only a fairly small fire.

“It was extinguished using a CO2 extinguisher.”

It is not known what was left on the hob, but firefighters found ‘a large amount of molten plastic’ leading them to believe it was possibly a washing up bowl or carrier bags.

An elderly man was evacuated from the building.

South East Coast Ambulance Service was called to the scene and the man was left in the care of paramedics.

Firefighters left the scene after about an hour.

* East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service offers free Home Safety Visits to people who are most at risk from fires in their home, including the elderly and the vulnerable. To arrange a visit, call 0800 177 7069.

For further fire safety advice, visit the ESFRS website at www.esfrs.org

* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage

2) Like our Facebook page

3) Follow us on Twitter

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.