FIREFIGHTERS tackled a blaze at a house at Pett Level following a wedding party at the weekend.
The blaze broke out at The Sea House, one of the distinctive detached post-modern cube buildings, at 6am on Sunday.
Fire crews from the Ridge and Bohemia at Hastings, and Broad Oak brought the fire under control in two hours using six breathing apparatus.
There were 15 people in the property at the time but all were able to get out safely.
It is believed the fire was started accidentally by a discarded cigarette.
Damage was caused to the first floor. A Fire Service spokesman said: “The damage was significant.”
A crew from the Ridge was first on the scene with the fire taking place just two days after the Rye Observer had reported fears that plans to downgrade the Ridge station could affect response times and put people and homes in the Rye area at risk.
Rye MP Amber Rudd is heading a campaign for the station to remain full time.
She said: “I have concerns about the safety of local residents and will fight this at the highest level.
“I am determined to oppose it.”
Concerns over the downgrade were also raised when Rye Town Council’s public services committee met this week.
Firefighters have said a downgrade could compromise the level of cover across rural Rother, with crews forced to spend more time backing up their Hastings colleagues,
Areas of Rother such as Pett, Fairlight and Guestling are much closer to the Ridge station than they are to Rye fire station.
“Rye councillor Mary Smith said that any cuts to such a vital service would be “awful”.
Rye resident Roy Godwin commented: “Stations were sited for good reasons. What has changed at The Ridge.
A 12 week public consultation period will be carried out with a final decision set to be made at the next Fire Authority meeting on December 13.