THE historic Austin Friars Monastery building in the heart of Rye has gone on the market.
Estate agents Rush Witt and Wilson, who are offering the property, say is considered suitable for a variety of uses which could include commercial or mixed commercial uses, as well as development of the adjoining land, all subject to the necessary consents.
The Monastery is in cobbled Conduit Hill and used to be home to a pottery.
There has been speculation as to its future in Rye for some time.
The Monastery is an Ancient Monument and so falls under the auspices of English Heritage.
An Ancient Monument is ‘a scheduled monument, or any other monument which, in the opinion of the Secretary of State, is of public interest by reason of the historic, architectural, artistic or archaeological interest attributed to it’.
English Heritage is supportive of efforts for redevelopment.
The Monastery building was once ear-marked as potential site for a new theatre by the Fletcher Group but the Group is now set to open a new two screen cinema in the former Further Education Centre in Lion Street later this year.
Permission was granted for construction in 1379 and what survives now is the chapel building.
In 1903, the then Vicar of Rye, the Rev. Howes, interested himself in the chapel building, and proposed its conversion into a Church House. It had been the Salvation Army Barracks for some time.
During the last war it was used for community events, dances and films.
Unconditional offers are invited in excess of £550,000. For more information contact Rush Witt and Wilson at the Rye office on 01797 224000.