• This Saturday April 13, the Sedlescombe & District Garden Society’s Spring Show will be held at the Village Hall. This year hasn’t been very good for gardeners but we are expecting a good turnout so please come along to see a colourful array of flowers and plants. There will also be an opportunity to try some of Lin Saines tasty bites made from herbs that can easily be grown in your garden. Lin used to manage the Herb Garden at Rye Castel and is a well-known expert on the subject. In addition to flowers there will be a display of some more unusual vegetables with some ideas on how they can be prepared for the table. It promises to be an interesting and varied show. Refreshments and a raffle will complete the line-up. Doors open at 2.00 p.m. and there will be an entrance fee of 50p per person, children go free. We look forward to seeing friends old and new.
• On Friday April 26, the Garden Society will be having another speaker. Dr Peter Gasson will give an illustrated talk entitled “Behind the Scenes at Kew Gardens”. As the evenings are at last getting lighter, this talk has been arranged for a 7.30 p.m. start, so those of you who have to work, will have an opportunity to join us. Admission is free for members but non-members are always welcome at £2.00 per person.
Why not join the Society and benefit from a wide range of activities this year. There will be more information on these events available at the Spring Show or you can visit our website, www.sedlescombegardensociety.org.uk or phone the Secretary on 01580 831996, for further information.
On Saturday April 20, two Sedlescombe Girl Guides, Natasha and Maya, are organising a quiz night to be held at Sedlescombe Village Hall. The evening starts at 7.30pm and tickets cost £6 per person and include a jacket potato with a choice of fillings. You can make up a team of 6 maximum so why not go along and support these young people in their fundraising in aid of their trip to an international Jamboree in Belgium in the summer. Tickets are now on sale in the village shop.
• Rye and District Association of the National Trust invite you to a talk at Beckley Village Hall commencing at 2.30 pm on Thursday April 18. This is their last talk of the season and is Tales of Beatrix Potter with Heather Woodward. There is an entrance fee of £2.00 for members and £3. for non-member, which includes refreshments after the talk.
• Have you been spring cleaning out your drawers and wardrobe? Then please donate it to the jumble sale taking place on Saturday April 27 in Sedlescombe village hall in aid of church funds. All items gratefully accepted however please do not leave your donations at the hall prior to the date of sale, instead please call 01424 870808 for collection Thank you
• Some news has been given to me regarding one of our older members of the village. Mrs Elsie Sellings has lived in Sedlescombe since 1945 when she was demobbed from the WAAF. Now in her 93rd year, her frail health and failing eyesight has forced her to move into a home for the blind in St Leonards. In her earlier years she was a great asset to the village. She gave great support to the scout open days in the scout hut near her home. Her cakes and buns which she made for them were well known. She was a cook for thirteen years in the old village school when dinners were hot and nourishing. Later she worked at the Tythe Barn. Elsie never lost her love of cooking. She has lived a long and useful life.
• The Friends of Sedlescombe Church Heritage Trust are now ready to relaunch the show “Sedlescombe got Talent”. Do you love to entertain? Then come and be part of the show to be held in Sedlescombe village hall on Friday 14 June from 7pm. Two years ago, when it was last held, there was a wealth of talent that came forward to compete for the £100 first prize. There is no entry fee but limited spaces to give everyone a fair chance to shine on stage. Nearer the date audience tickets will be on sale, with any profits raised from this event going towards the church renovations now taking place so please mark your diaries to either take part or come along to enjoy the evening. Further details please call Jean on 882438 or Anthony on 870722.
• If you have an event coming up in the local area or would like to have a small piece, outlining your club or organisation aims, activities, membership etc. then please contact me by email to email@example.com or by calling 870344. Please allow a couple of weeks notice before an event to allow for full coverage.
Judy Torrance, Asselton House