Wodens Wood, Cripps Corner
• This (Friday) evening the Bowls Club will be holding another New Members night at 6pm as last Friday’s weather put a dampener on the original date. This is an opportunity for new and prospective members to go along to the Club in Northiam Road, Staplecross, where there is a good supply of woods for you to try out to see whether it is the game for you.
• The church is holding a fundraising event of a Spring Fayre tomorrow morning (Saturday) in the Cross Inn garden in Staplecross between 10.00 and 12.30. There will be a variety of stalls, including tombola, a plant stall, as well as cakes and a raffle. Your help is needed to support both our churches St Mark’s in Staplecross and St James in Ewhurst Green as like any property they need maintenance and you never know when you will need what the church has to offer.
• There will be another fundraising event on behalf of the churches on Saturday June 8 when “Preachers”, Ewhurst Green, reputed to be the oldest house in the parish will be opening its gates for viewers to see its attractive gardens. They will be open between 10.30am and 4.30pm when coffees teas and lunches will be available in the garden.
• The Bonfire Society is changing its evening meeting day to Mondays, so members and anyone wishing to join this enthusiastic band should note that the next meeting is at 8pm at The Cross Inn on Monday May 13. When it is not a Bank Holiday it will be the first Monday of the month.
• Members of the Women’s Institute meet on Tuesday (May 7) at 2.30pm in the Church Room, Staplecross, when Resolutions are on the agenda. The competition is a recipe “Made to Taste”.
• There is to be a Beetle Drive at the village hall on Saturday May 11 at 7pm, organised by the Bonfire Society. This is always a popular and well attended event for grown-ups and children, at a bargain price of £2 adults, £1 children. Food will be on offer in the form of shepherd’s pie and peas. Should you want more details, Marion Brown on 01580-765764 is the contact number.
• A Table Sale is planned for Saturday June 1 in the village hall. Now is an opportunity to sort out all those “come in handy” items you think you might use, have a table (£8 per 4ft table) and anyone with crafts or likes baking could also make some pin money. Setting up time for tables is 8.30am, with doors open from 10am to 2pm. Booking to Hilary on 01580-830704.
• Last Saturday was the last get-together of Ewhurst United at the school’s football field, which thanks to head teacher Mrs Avard and Tom Saunders has kept the club going while work at the Herdman Field has been in progress. Plans are afoot says Dave Perkins to hold a football tournament in the summer prior to the usual games and practises next season.