Thug attacked stranger in Battle

A MAN was punched in the head by a stranger during an unprovoked assault in a busy Battle street on Monday (October 6).

The 30-year-old victim was talking to a friend in Upper Lake at 9.30am when the attacker pulled up and launched his vicious assault.

The victim, who has asked not to be named, said: “I was talking to a friend opposite Stiles Garage and there was a long queue of traffic building up because the A21 was shut.

“This blue beaten-up car with a huge dent above its rear tyre pulled over.

“The guy got out, swore at me, walked towards me and repeatedly punched me in the head.”

One blow hit the man in the back of the head and another hit him in the face, knocking him to the ground.

The attacker then got back in his car and sped off.

His victim suffered swellings to his head and face as well as sustaining injuries to his arm and hip.

He told the Observer: “I was shocked by the whole event and was shaken up afterwards to the extent of feeling sick.

“It was not a very pleasant experience.”

The added: “I had no idea who he was. He was a complete stranger.

“The worrying thing is it could happen to anyone.

“It was in broad daylight and you think you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

“But what if it had been an older person? It’s a bit worrying.

“You walk down a path you have known for years and suddenly this happens.”

The victim says he believes there are not enough police on the beat in Battle and believes a higher PC presence could have prevented the attack.

He said: “I don’t see any police. That’s the worrying thing.

“I do not even see any PCSOs on the streets any more.

“I think if there had been a police presence that would have been a deterrent from that happening at all.”

He added: “Everybody thinks in a sleepy town like Battle that does not happen.

“But it can happen and it does.”

But Chief Inspector Warren Franklin said that violent crime was not a big problem in Battle.

He told the Observer: “Public place violent crime has not risen in Battle and it’s a very safe place to live.”

The man’s attacker is described as white, 25-35-years-old, 6’2”, slim, wearing a black and silver baseball cap, a black puffa style jacket and tracksuit bottoms.

He was driving a blue Renault Clio with an N-registration number, possibly starting N247.

Anyone who recognises this description or saw what happened is asked to contact Sussex Police on 101@sussex/pnn.police.uk quoting serial 326 of 6/10.