- As I sit writing this Village Voice the sun is shinning, there are snowdrops in bloom in the garden and of course everywhere in the churchyard, the birds are nesting and the daffodils have been out for some time; spring is surely on its way!
- While the eyes of cinemagoers around the world will be on the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood this weekend, film fans in Whatlington are holding their own vote of top movies.
Members of the village’s Film Club are choosing which movies they’ll be watching over the next few months.
Among the list of choices they are considering are five that Academy Award judges have been rating for Sunday’s Oscars ceremony.
• And while there was no red carpet outside The Royal Oak for last Friday’s meeting, there were plenty of Oscar-winning performances on the new, bigger screen inside, courtesy of Slumdog Millionaire, the harrowing but ultimately heartwarming Danny Boyle movie.
When the results of the Whatlington vote are in, a programme of dates and films will be published.
With new members still joining, you can find out more details by emailing Steve Turner at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling Alex at the pub on 01424 870492.
- It’s Irish Music Night tonight (Fri 24th) at The Royal Oak from 8.30pm.
This is always a popular event and we are so lucky to have such a large group of talented musicians from all over the South East to come and play at the pub.
There are now full conference facilities available in The Barn at The Royal Oak including WiFi, so if you have a local group or club that would like to use these, please get in touch on 01424 870492.
Pub Quiz is every Thursday evening at The Royal Oak from 8pm. £1 per person entry for teams of up to six.
This is always a fun evening, if you would like to join us please come along!
- The Whatlington Village Hall Jumble Sale is this Saturday 25th from 10am – this is your chance to pick up a bargain as we always receive a lot of good quality donations.
If you still have jumble you’d like to donate, please either drop it off at the pub or at the Village Hall at 4pm today (Friday).
Helpers are also always welcome, if you have some time to spare on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning, please call Angie on 01424 870087.
- There will be an open meeting on Monday 12th March at 7.30pm at the Village Hall to discuss activities for the Jubilee Street Party which will be on the Bank Holiday Monday 4th June.
The Street Party will have a 50s theme and will be a wonderful day for the village and community and the more people that get involved the better!
Responsibilities for food, music and games will be allocated at the meeting on 12th, so please come along and be a part of this event.
- Don’t forget the Whatlington Village Fete is going to be on Saturday 30th June which seems a long way off, but put the date in your diary now as this year the fete will be bigger and better than ever!
Helpers are always welcome and there will be lots to get involved in – setting up and manning stalls and being on-hand during the day, plus the dreaded clearing up! If you have any ideas for stalls, games or attractions, or if you have anything you would like to donate for the raffle or brac-a-brac stall, please call Angie on 01424 870087.
- I have not mentioned the church fire appeal fund for some weeks but I can assure you that donations are still coming in steadily and the balance of the account now stands at £30,239.78 with the money raised from the concert organised by Battle Town Band still to be credited to the account.
We are very fortunate that many of the gifts/donations to the appeal account have been “gift aided” and this has allowed us to claim back the tax from 6th April- 31st December; an amount totalling £328.33.
- This Sunday Parish Eucharist will be celebrated in the village hall at 8.30am. all are most welcome.
Hilda Aplin Lismoyne Oakhurst Road