No more second chances says Bexhill boss

Aerial action from Bexhill United's defeat away to Saltdean United in the Division Two Challenge Cup earlier this season. Picture courtesy Mark Killy
Aerial action from Bexhill United's defeat away to Saltdean United in the Division Two Challenge Cup earlier this season. Picture courtesy Mark Killy

Bexhill United manager Marc Munday says ‘there are no second chances now’ in the football club’s quest for promotion.

The Pirates have dropped out of Macron Store Sussex County Football League Division Two’s three promotion places after back-to-back away defeats.

Bexhill trail third-placed AFC Uckfield Town on goal difference having played an extra game and have seven to go.

Munday said: “We’ve got no second chances now. We can probably afford a draw, but that’s about it. We’ve got to go and win, but we’re capable of doing it.”

Next up are two more away matches against second-bottom Saltdean United tomorrow (Saturday) and 10th-placed Steyning Town next weekend.

“We expect to take six points the next two weeks and if we win those two, we’re still in with a shout,” continued Munday. “It’s still close.”

Despite Saltdean’s lowly position, they’ve beaten Bexhill twice this season.

“They’ve been a bogie side and where they are in the league doesn’t really show what they’re about,” Munday added. “They’re not the worst side in the league by a long shot, but we’re good enough to beat them.

“Last week (when Bexhill lost 3-1 against second-placed Wick & Barnham United) most of them looked like they hadn’t played for five weeks, but we’ve got to go to Saltdean and perform.”