PICTURES: Owner of '˜appalling' Indian restaurant banned for putting customers at risk
The owner of an '˜appalling' Indian restaurant, in Rye, has been banned from the trade for putting his customers at risk of illness.
Suba Miah, owner of Simply Spice, in High Street, Rye, was barred from running a food business anywhere in the country after admitting nine breaches of food hygiene legislation.
When environmental health officers from Rother District Council visited the premises in September 2016, they found cooked rice, marinating chicken and defrosting prawns left at room temperature, exposing customers to risk of food poisoning.
A spokesman for Rother District Council said cleaning cloths and mops were dirty and there was no disinfectant which meant work surfaces and utensils could transfer harmful bacteria from one food to another.
Meanwhile, sacks of onions and other foods were found in a pile on the floor while rotting tomatoes were left festering in the fridge.
The restaurant, which subsequently closed down in January 2017, also failed to have in place the required food safety management system, according to Rother District Council.
In addition to his ban, Miah, 52, of Amiel Street, east London, was fined £6,140 in a hearing at Hastings Magistrates’ Court on Friday, February 16, the district council said.
Councillor Ian Hollidge, Rother District Council cabinet member for environment and transport, said: “This restaurant was in an appalling state which was not only unpleasant but put customers’ health at risk.
“I’d like to commend the work of our environmental health officers who work so hard to keep the public safe and to ensure businesses operate to the highest possible standards.
“While the vast majority of businesses in Rother do just that, this successful prosecution should send out a message that we won’t hesitate to prosecute those who break the rules.”