AN IMPORTANT carved and painted, marble-topped George II side table, which has been at Brightling Park for more than 250 years, fetched £216,000 at Bonhams, New Bond Street, as part of the Fine English Furniture and Works of Art sale.
Believed to have been designed by the celebrated cabinet maker, William Hallett (1701-1781), it had attracted a pre-sale estimate of £40,000–£60,000.
The table was commissioned by John Fuller (1707-1755) for the drawing room at Brightling Park, then known as Rosehill House, circa 1747.
From him, it passed by descent until 1879, when the house was purchased by Percy Tew and renamed Brightling Park.
The house and the table with it stayed within the Tew family until the present day.