Battle catapult attacker fails in bid for freedom

Eli King and Anthony Adams were both jailed for the assault ENGSUS00120131219123920
Eli King and Anthony Adams were both jailed for the assault ENGSUS00120131219123920

A man jailed for his part in a ‘brutal’ catapult attack in which the victim lost an eye has failed in an Appeal Court bid for freedom.

Eli King, 25, of Darvel Down, Netherfield, was jailed for 12 years at Lewes Crown Court in December, 2013.

He was convicted of causing grievous bodily harm with intent to Isaac Fuller, 25.

The attack took place in Battle High Street on May 24, 2013.

Mr Fuller and his girlfriend Jane Chapman were in the street when brothers-in-law, Eli King and Anthony Adams, struck Mr Fuller several times with shots from a catapult, Lord Justice Lloyd Jones told London’s Appeal Court.

He lost several teeth and his left eye in the attack.

Mr Fuller said he heard King shouting threats at him and that he was jealous of his relationship with King’s former partner, Ms Chapman.

He started to walk away but was shot with the catapult.

After he had been shot in the head and spat out a number of teeth from being hit in the mouth, he tried to shout stop but his mouth was full of blood.

He was then shot in the left eye.

King didn’t dispute being present at the scene but denied being involved in the attack which caused the injuries.

Adams, then 23, also from Battle, admitted causing GBH with intent and was jailed for eight years.

But King’s barrister, Pamela Rose, appealed against his conviction, arguing he did not receive a fair trial.

Amongst other things, she said jurors had been prevented from hearing potentially crucial evidence and that one important witness was absent from the trial.

But Lord Justice Lloyd Jones said there was ‘no substance’ in King’s complaints and upheld the jury’s guilty verdict.

King had a previous conviction for assaulting a constable and a caution for common assault, but Ms Rose also argued his jail term was too long.

However, Lord Justice Lloyd Jones said: “The injuries inflicted were appalling – the loss of an eye and risk to sight of the other eye and injuries to the mouth.”

He described it as a ‘particularly brutal and sustained attack’ with the use of a ‘dreadful weapon’.

“The judge found King fired one shot, in any event he was party to the joint enterprise,” said the judge, who was sitting with Mr Justice Blake and Mr Justice Haddon-Cave.

“In our view, it is not arguable that the sentence was manifestly excessive or wrong in principle. Accordingly leave to appeal against sentence is refused.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at

2) Like our Facebook page at

3) Follow us on Twitter Text to display

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Rye and Battle Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.