Battle Town Council has elected a new chairman.
Cllr David Furness took over the reins from outgoing chairman Margaret Kiloh at the annual meeting of the council on Tuesday evening (May 17).
Cllr Furness will also take over as town mayor.
Speaking at the meeting, Cllr Kiloh said: “I would like to express my thanks to councillors for their support to me as my time as mayor and thanks to the staff – no fewer than three town clerks and our deputy town clerk Carol, who continues to provide an excellent public service.”
She also paid tribute to the town’s unsung heroes, the groundsmen.
Cllr Furness thanked Cllr Kiloh for all her work during her tenure – from changing the meeting schedules to her fundraising endeavours.
Cllr Furness added: “On behalf of us all, thank you very much Margaret.”
Cllr Furness has served on the council’s environment committee, external relations and town development committee, planning and transport committee and finance and general purposes committee. He is also the chairman of Battle Festival.
Cllr Richard Jessop was voted in as the new vice chairman and deputy mayor.
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.ryeandbattleobserver.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/RyeandBattleObserver
3) Follow us on Twitter Text to display
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Rye and Battle Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.