The Bexhill-Hastings Link Road opened to traffic at 2pm today (Thursday, December 17).
Motorists are reported to have queued up at either end of the road in order to be one of the first to drive the 3.5 mile stretch.
A Sussex Police Range Rover led the first few vehicles along the road.
The Link Road, to be known as the Combe Valley Way is expected to bring in around £1 billion of investment, with the creation of 2,000 new homes, 3,000 new jobs and the development of business space.
The Link Road was scheduled to open in May this year, but in December 2014 the council blamed wet weather and unexpected archaeological finds for hampering work on the £120m project.
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/hastingsobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @HastingsObs
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Hastings Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.