Hastings and Rye Green Party members have called on Amber Rudd MP to support the creation of ‘safe, swift and legal means’ of resettling millions of refugees in Europe.
The plea was made as part of a Europe-wide initiative to tackle the current global refugee crisis
More than 2,600 people are known to have died attempting to cross the Mediterranean this year, while the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) has identified around 960,000 refugees in need of resettlement worldwide.
A spokesman from the Hastings and Rye Green Party said: “The Government’s current policy – which amounts to letting in just 12 Syrian refugees per day until May 2020 – is clearly a pitifully inadequate response to the current global refugee crisis, and will not stop the mounting death toll as desperate people continue to risk their lives in attempts to find safety in Europe.
“The only way to stop these deaths is to create safe, swift and legal means for resettling large numbers of people in Europe, and to share the responsibility for this fairly between the various European states.
“This is not only the right thing to do, but a practical response with historical precedents.
“We urge Amber Rudd to support such an initiative which, as long as it is properly managed, could also create significant economic benefits for the UK.”
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/hastingsobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @HastingsObs
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Hastings Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.