Sussex Police has said there is “nothing to suggest” the five men who died at Camber Sands yesterday (Wednesday, August 24) were migrants.
The national media - including the Sun and Express newspapers - have speculated that the men could have been migrants or immigrants, possibly swimming to the UK from France.
However a spokesperson for Sussex Police has denied these claims.
The Force has also moved to quash claims the men were fully clothed, adding “all were clothed appropriately for the beach”.
Five men died after getting into difficulty in the sea at Camber Sands.
It is not yet clear what happened to the men and an investigation is ongoing.
This website will be updated with further news as we get it.
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.ryeandbattleobserver.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/RyeandBattleObserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @RyeObs
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Rye and Battle Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.