County News: Giant water slide will raise money to fight children's cancer
A giant water slide is being set up in a Sussex park this weekend in aid of a charity which battles to cure cancer in children.
SlideRider, a 250m two-lane water slide, will be at Brighton’s Preston Park on April 16 (11am-5pm. The par is also hosting the charity’s mini mile races as part of the Brighton Marathon Weekend.
Proceeds from a ride on the inflatable will go towards Cancer Research UK Kids and Teens.
There’s still time to sign up for a ride on the water slide, although entries close at 9am on Friday (April 15).
Jenny Ainsworth, Cancer Research UK event manager, said, “We are absolutely thrilled that so many people have signed up to our first ever SlideRider event in Brighton.
“But with 210 children diagnosed with cancer every year in the South East of England, we need as many people as possible to take part, get sponsored and help make a splash in the fight against the disease.”
Cancer is the leading cause of death in under 15s in the UK, taking the lives of around 240 children each year.
Sliders must be aged eight or over and taller than 131cm.
To find out more and sign up, visit cruk.org/sliderider
Here are Cancer Research UK Kids & Teens’ top tips for taking on SlideRider:
• Wear old clothes, swimwear or lycra shorts as you’re going to get very wet.
• Don’t forget a towel and a change of clothing!
• Give yourself a run up before you plunge head first down the slide on the inflatable provided
• Get sponsored to whizz down the water slide and help raise money for lifesaving research into children’s cancers
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.