Driving ban for teen a week after buying his car

Share this article

A TEENAGER has been banned from the road after he was caught drink driving - just a week after buying himself a car.

Thomas Lawrence Edward Barlow, 19, of Dorothy Avenue, Cranbrook, Kent, was found to be three times over the legal limit when police caught up with him on the A21 on July 30.

Magistrates sitting at Hastings heard how other motorists called police to report Barlow driving “erratically” on the stretch of road between Hurst Green and Flimwell.

Jeremy King, prosecuting, said: “PC Seal went to the scene and located his (Barlow’s) vehicle, which had broken down.

“He went to speak to him and noticed he was unsteady on his feet and smelt of alcohol.”

The officer asked Barlow to carry out a roadside breath test, which he failed.

He was found to have 101 mcg of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath - the legal limit is just 35 mcg.

When PC Seal tried to arrest Barlow, the teenager became aggressive.

Mr King said: “Mr Barlow refused to put his hands behind his back to be handcuffed. PC Seal was the only police officer there and he became aggressive with him.”

PC Seal was forced to use captor spray on Barlow.

When back up arrived, Barlow was put into a van and taken to the police station.

Barlow pleaded guilty to one charge of drink driving and one charge of resisting a police officer at a hearing at Hastings Magistrates Court last Friday.

Miss Priestly, defending, said: “He would like to apologise to PC Seal for his behaviour on July 30 in the early hours of the morning.

“He did not know what came over him.”

She told the court that Barlow had been drinking at a party at a friend’s house in Etchingham and didn’t intend to drive home that night.

She said: “He decided that rather than drive home he would sleep in his car on the driveway.

“He slept, woke up, dusted himself down and started to drive.”

Barlow’s T-reg VW Jetta car, which he had purchased just a week before, had broken down on the A21 when PC Seal found him.

Miss Priestly said: “He was subsequently arrested and offered no resistance at that point.

“He could not understand why he had been handcuffed and its effectively when the officer lay hands on him he resisted.

“He was detained at the police station for 17 hours, sitting in a cell and looking at the wall for much of that time, considering his position and thinking about what he had done.”

She said it was the first time the former West Kent College pupil had ever been in trouble with the police.

Miss Priestly added: “He bitterly regrets it and is remorseful.”

Magistrates sentenced Barlow to a 12 month community order and he must carry out 60 hours of unpaid work.

He was also fined £100 and banned from driving for 24 months.

Barlow must pay £85 court costs and a £15 victim surcharge.