With almost 50% of people in East Sussex receiving between five and 20 nuisance calls per week, telephone scams are still causing major problems for consumers.
The issue has become so widespread that over 85% of people admit they are losing trust in having any telephone contact with businesses and organisations.
A survey by CPR Call Blocker, a device which blocks nuisance calls, reveals that the most prolific types of scams this year are:
1. Virus Hoax – being called by so-called ‘Microsoft Windows Support’ who inform you of a virus on your computer and asked for your passwords to fix it
2. PPI refunds – being told you are owed money for mis-sold PPI payments and asked for an admin fee to proceed
3. Prize scam – you are told you have won a large prize and are asked to pay a processing fee or call a premium rate line to claim your prize
4. Bank account problems – someone claiming to be from the bank informs you of a problem with your account and requests security details including your PIN
5. Noise rebate – discovering a place you once worked has been condemned as being too noisy and you are entitled to a rebate and then asked to provide personal details
While many people are becoming increasingly savvy when it comes to spotting a scam, 15% of those questioned have lost money to scams in the last 12 months.
Of those, 51% only lost between £1-£50, but 13% lost between £1,000-£10,000 and 4% were scammed out of over £10,000. As well as feeling the financial sting, almost 70% of respondents felt that there wasn’t enough support available for victims of phone scams.
Kris Hicks, Head of Marketing at CPR Call Blocker, commented: “Scam and nuisance phone calls continue to be a major problem for consumers in East Sussex and it’s often the most vulnerable people in society who are falling victim to telephone scams. It’s a worrying trend that nearly 90% of us prefer to be contacted by post or email rather than by phone when in reality most telephone contact is perfectly legitimate.
“Our customer base tends to be those aged 55 and over who want to eliminate nuisance and scam calls for good. By being able to block nuisance phone numbers through the touch of a button, our customers have seen a 90%-100% reduction in the number of calls received depending on how they choose to use the product.”
For more information about CPR Call Blocker contact 0800 652 7780 or visit www.cprcallblocker.com.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.