One of Rye’s landmark pubs faces being turned into new homes and a holiday let by a Kent developer.
The end could be in sight for the 292 year old Queens Head pub at Landgate.
A proposed development, which includes four cottages, a holiday let and a two-storey office building, was originally turned down by planners at Rother District Council but the developers appealed against the decision.
A Government planning inspector upheld Rother Council’s decision on one ground only - namely that the development would not sufficiently protect the historic fabric of the building. The latest application has taken this into account.
Rye Town Council approved the amended plan which will now go back to the district council.
The Queens Head dates back, as a pub to 1722 when it was called the Two Brewers. It became the Queens Head in 1780.
Rother Coucil has had a stated policy of trying to protect local pub heritage and opting for pubs to remain as licensed premises rather than being converted to private dwellings.
The Queens Head has enjoyed a revival in recent years when it gained a reputation for selling a wide selection of real aleas from small indpendent micro-breweries.
On September 21 it is being used as a venue for the Rye festival event Beer and Beethoven when a string quartet will play classical music to entertain pub-goers.
The pub has a long association with Rye Bonfire.
Rye resident Andy Stuart said: “It seems a great shame to lose a Rye pub in this way.”