Firefighters called to Staplecross

Fire news
Fire news

Firefighters were called to Staplecross this afternoon (Friday) after reports of a chimney fire.

Firefighters from Battle fire station were called to a property in Bodium Road at around 12.02pm.

Once on scene crews used a chimney kit to help extinguish the fire and carried out a home safety visit.

Following the callout, East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service (ESFRS) re-issued advice on how to avoid a chimney fire.

An ESFRS spokesman said: "The number of chimney fires in the area have been slowly decreasing but even a small fire can cause significant damage and disruption. Fire isn't the only risk it's important to install a carbon monoxide alarm in any room that contains a solid fuel burning appliance."

The spokesman added that chimneys should be swept at least once a year, or possibly more according to the type of fuel in fire used.

The fire service offered the following advice:

Make sure your chimney is swept regularly.

Keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained.

Be careful when using open fires to keep warm. Make sure you always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers.

Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house.

Ensure good quality fuel is used.

Never interrupt the air supply by blocking air vents or air bricks.