More than forty zebra finches and their eggs have been stolen from an aviary in Battle.
Police have issued an appeal for witnesses to the theft, which is believed to have taken place between some time between 6pm on Monday May 30 and 8am on Tuesday May 31 May) at an address in Wellington Gardens.
The thief is believed to have climbed over the fence at the rear of the building before opening the door of the aviary.
Battle Police wildlife and heritage crime officer, Daryl Holter, said: “I am keen to speak to anyone who was in the local area around the time this incident occurred and believes that they may have seen anything suspicious.
“These birds are very vulnerable and the eggs were being incubated, it is very sad to hear that they have been taken, the owner is understandably upset.”
Anyone with any information is asked to contact Sussex Police on 101, quoting incident number 0588 of 31/05.
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.ryeandbattleobserver.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/RyeandBattleObserver
3) Follow us on Twitter Text to display
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Rye and Battle Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.