The five men who died after getting into trouble in the sea at Camber Sands last week are to be laid to rest on Sunday (September 4).
Kurushanth Srithavarajah, Kobinathan Saththiyanathan, Kenugen Saththiyanathan, Inthushan Sriskantharasa and Nitharshan Ravi had travelled together from London to Camber for the day when tragedy struck last Wednesday (August 24).
All five funerals are being held together on Sunday at Winn’s Common Park, King’s High Way, Plumstead Common, London, SE18 2LN, between 6am and 10am.
The Camber Sands Boys Funeral Committee, a group formed of the men’s family and friends, is also using the occasion to mark the importance of beach safety.
Since their tragic deaths, there have been renewed calls for Rother District Council to put lifeguards in place at Camber Sands.
The RNLI provided a lifeguard service over the Bank Holiday Weekend, which has now been extended until the end of the summer season.
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.ryeandbattleobserver.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/RyeandBattleObserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @RyeObs
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Rye and Battle Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.