St Leonards beach reopens after major sewage leak

A major sewage leak in St Leonards has now been repaired and Bulverhythe beach has been reopened.

Friday, 6th August 2021, 9:42 am
Burst sewage main down Cinque Ports Way, Bulverhythe Beach area, St Leonards. SUS-210730-104349001

Southern Water was first sent to a burst pipe under the cycle path at Bulverhythe beach, Cinque Ports Way on Wednesday night (July 28). They remained in the area throughout Thursday, but on Friday there was a second serious sewage leak which affected beach huts and the beach.

As a result, the area was cordoned off and closed throughout the weekend, and into the early part of this week.

Southern Water confirmed the repairs to the broken sewage mains were completed on Wednesday and, on Friday morning (August 6), Hastings Borough Council said Bulverhythe beach was reopen.

A council spokesman said: “Bulverhythe beach is now open after works to repair a burst main have been completed.

“Southern Water has a small works compound on site as it continues to reinstate the area. Access is restricted through the compound which will remain in place until the reinstatement works are complete.

“These include re-turfing and internal cleaning of beach huts affected. Cyclist and pedestrian access along the coastline via the multipurpose pathway is available.”

On Wednesday, a spokesman for Southern Water said: “Repairs to the burst sewer main at Bulverhythe Beach, Hastings have been completed and we are now returning the site back to normal.

“We kept tankers in the area until we were confident the repair was successful and to ensure we protected the environment. All beach hut owners have been contacted and we will be ensuring their huts are restored to their previous state and we replace any items which have been damaged in this incident.

“We also continue to liaise closely with Hastings Borough council, the Environment Agency and Natural England to keep them informed as they make decisions regarding beach reopening.”

A warning against swimming at Hastings’ Pelham and St Leonards beaches was lifted earlier this week, according to the council.

People had been advised to avoid going in the water after the sewage main burst but earlier today a spokesman for Hastings Borough Council said: “The Environment Agency has now lifted the advice against swimming at Hastings’ Pelham and St Leonards bathing beaches. It is now safe to swim at these beaches.”