Person in hospital after Northiam back boiler ‘explosion’

Fire & Rescue News.
Fire & Rescue News.

A person was taken to hospital after an exploding back boiler in a fireplace in Northiam injured them last night (Monday, December 5), according to the fire service.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service crews from The Ridge, Hastings, and Broad Oak were called to an address on Ewhurst Lane at around 7.15pm.

A back boiler had exploded in a fireplace in the lounge of a house, a fire service spokesman said.

Firefighters checked the building for stability and gave the casualty first aid and oxygen therapy before they were taken to hospital by the ambulance service.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at

2) Like our Facebook page at

3) Follow us on Twitter @RyeObs

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Rye and Battle Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.