Shopping on hob started flat fire

Fire & Rescue East Sussex
Fire & Rescue East Sussex

A blaze broke out in sheltered accommodation after a woman left her shopping on the hob before accidently switching the cooker on.

Two people had to be treated for breathing in smoke following the fire at the block of flats in Burgh Hill, Hurst Green, on Tuesday (September 15).

At the height of the fire, crews from Battle, Heathfield and two from Hastings fire stations were tackling the blaze, which broke out shortly before midday.

They were joined by Bexhill’s Incident Command Unit.

A ventilation fan was used to clear smoke from the building.

Paramedics treated the two residents at the scene.

Watch Manager Mick Taylor attended the incident. He said: “The resident had returned to the flat and momentarily left bags of shopping on top of the hob but accidentally switched on the cooker as she walked past.

“In just a few moments this started a fire.

“However, the occupant did the right thing and immediately left the flat, closing the door behind her.

“We always urge people to avoid using the hob as a work surface to prevent unfortunate incidents such as this.”

Battle firefighters returned to the scene the following day to drop leaflets into neighbouring properties offering fire safety advice. Anyone requiring a home safety visit from East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service can call 0800 177 7069.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service has been campaigning to spread the word about safety in the kitchen, to coincide with the Fire Kills August Cooking Campaign, in a bid to drive down accidental kitchen fires across the service area.

* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at

2) Like our Facebook page at

3) Follow us on Twitter @BattleObs

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Rye and Battle Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.