UPDATED: Teenage swimmer who died at Camber Sands identified

The teenager who died after getting into difficulty in the sea at Camber Sands yesterday (Sunday, July 24), has been identified.

Monday, 25th July 2016, 3:04 pm
Updated Friday, 8th June 2018, 12:07 am
The Coastguard helicopter at Camber Sands. Photo by Emma B SUS-160724-173803001

The 19-year-old man, who had been visiting Camber, was found at 6.20pm but was declared dead at the scene.

He has been identified as Gustavo Silva Da Cruz from Brazil who was visiting family in Croydon.

His death is not being treated as suspicious and the coroner has been informed.

The other two people, not connected to Gustavo, a 35-year-old man and his 17-year-old son visiting from London, remain in a critical but stable condition after being rescued from the sea.

A fundraising page has been set up to help pay for Gustavo’s body to be sent back to Brazil as the family cannot afford it, according to the site.

The Go Fund Me page says Gustavo was visiting his father Gutenberg Cruz, and the 19-year-old was brought up by his grandmother and sister in Brazil.

“The family was enjoying the hot weather in the company of friends at Camber Sands beach on Sunday, July 24, [sic] where Gustavo drowned to death, the young man was dragged by the strong wind which started suddenly and could not swim back to the beach,” the page says.

More than £1,300 has been donated.

A search party coordinated by the coastguard looked for the third person for hours before Gustavo’s body was found.

Emergency services rushed to Camber Sands after reports of people getting into difficulty at sea at around 12.40pm.

The coastguard rescue teams from Rye and Dungeness, helicopters from Lydd and Solent, Rye Harbour RNLI lifeboat, beach lifeguards and police searched for a third person, a 19-year-old man from London, last seen in the water.

Hastings and Littlestone RNLI lifeboats and independent inshore boat Pett Level Rescue Boat joined the search.

But the RNLI was stood down at around 4.20pm.

The coastguard helicopter landed on the beach and took the teenager to William Harvey Hospital in Ashford after he was resuscitated.

The second man, believed to be in his 30s, was reportedly treated on the beach and taken to the same hospital by the Kent, Surrey and Sussex Air Ambulance.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage

2) Like our Facebook page

3) Follow us on Twitter

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.