Well loved Battle woman dies in A21 crash

Sylvia Davies
Sylvia Davies

The woman who died in a collision with two lorries near Hurst Green has been named as 66 year old Sylvia Davies of London Road, Battle.

Mrs Davies was driving her silver Suzuki Alto northbound at 12.05pm last Thursday (July 18) when her vehicle was in collision with two heavy goods vehicles outside the petrol station just north of Cooper’s Corner. Sadly, she died at the scene.

The driver of one of the HGVs, a 27 year old man from Potters Bar, Hertfordshire, has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and has been bailed until September 20.

Sylvia’s family have described how her death has left a great hole in their lives and those of her many friends and people who knew her.

Her husband, David, talking this week, said: “Sylvia was a very loving wife and mother to our two sons and absolutely adored her six grandchildren, the youngest of whom is only six months old. Like us, they will miss her terribly.

“She was a very local girl and touched the lives of literally hundreds of people around Battle. When she left school, she worked in Judds of Battle, which later became home to Yesterday’s World and then moved on to be the secretary at John’s Cross Garage, before going to work at dental surgery in Mount Street and then the Saxonwood Nursing Home, where she was until she retired a couple of years ago.

“We often used to joke about her knowing just about everyone and everything about Battle and in recent years she delighted in the family nickname, Wikipedia!

“In retirement, she busied herself making handmade greetings cards and knitting and would often join me at Wealden Bowls Club at Maresfield, where she would throw herself into selling raffle tickets and helping out in other ways. We loved caravanning together and had recently spent a weekend with the East Sussex Fire and Rescue Caravan Club, doing gate duty at Ardingly for the vintage and classic vehicle show.

“As a family, we have been extremely touched by the number of cards and calls that we have had since Sylvia’s accident and we would like to thank everyone for what has proved a welcome comfort at this terrible time.”