Wood burner sparks 999 alert

Fire & Rescue news.
Fire & Rescue news.

Firefighters were called to tackle a blaze in the roof of a house, which was sparked by a wood burner.

Crews from Hastings, The Ridge and Battle fire stations were called to a house at Kent Street, Sedlescombe, just before 8.30pm last night (November 3).

The caller reported that a fire had become out of control in a log burner.

The blaze then spread to the roof.

Despite fears that there were people inside the property, everyone was accounted for.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service has issued some top safety tips to residents with wood burners and open fires as the temperature drops.

* Keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained

* Be careful when using open fires to keep warm. Make sure you always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers

* Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house

* Ensure good quality fuel is used

* Never interrupt the air supply by blocking air vents or air bricks

* Do not overfill a fire grate in case coals fall out.

* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.ryeandbattleobserver.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/RyeandBattleObserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @BattleObs

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Rye and Battle Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.