Common come from behind to clinch victory

Little Common's footballers came from a goal down at half time to achieve a good 2-1 win at Oakwood on Saturday.

Monday, 24th October 2016, 1:40 pm
Updated Friday, 8th June 2018, 12:09 am
Jamie Crone scored a comical winner for Little Common against Oakwood.

Second half strikes by Wes Tate and Jamie Crone gave Common a Macron Store Southern Combination Football League Division One 'double' over their Crawley-based opponents.

The match was delayed by 45 minutes after the Commoners were held up by a traffic accident on the A27, meaning they did not arrive at the Tinsley Lane ground until 3.15pm.

Dan Hill again deputised for the unavailable Matt Cruttwell in the Common goal, with Liam Foster and George Aston also coming into the starting line-up.

Wes Tate netted Common's equaliser in the come-from-behind 2-1 win.

Common moved the ball nicely in the opening minutes, but soon found themselves a goal down. A poor clearance fell to an Oakwood player on the edge of the area and his ball across the face of the goal was stabbed home by Brendan Sebuliba from close range.

The Commoners were sloppy in possession and the hosts twice had opportunities to double their lead, but both efforts went wide of the target.

As the half progressed, the Commoners enjoyed more possession, but were unable to fashion many clearcut chances. Tate's flick over the crossbar was the closest they came to levelling the scores.

Kicking downhill in the second period, Common made their attacking intentions clear from the first whistle and within three minutes the scores were level. Tate picked up an Anthony Cooper free kick before weaving into the area and scoring from an almost impossible angle.

Oakwood were reduced to 10 men on the hour when full-back Andrei Tuculea received a second yellow card in the space of 15 minutes.

Commoners were now looking most likely to add to the scoring. The introduction of Harry Saville added fresh impetus to the Common midfield and his ball set up a chance for Crone, but the home goalkeeper did well to save with his legs.

Common player-manager Russell Eldridge saw a free kick clear the crossbar, and Tate’s quick turn and shot went narrowly wide.

The winning goal came in the 68th minute in what was a real comedy of errors. Crone ran on to Lewis Hole’s throughball and rounded the goalkeeper, but slipped as he attempted to place the ball into the empty net. As the ball trickled towards the goal-line, it looked certain to be cleared by the covering Oakwood defender, but he too slipped and could only watch on as the ball trickled over the line.

Hole had a chance to make it 3-1, but saw his effort following a good run from Saville hit the crossbar.

Tate had an effort parried, while the Common defence held firm as the hosts pushed for an equaliser during the closing stages to secure another three valuable points.

Common: Hill, Cooper, Aston, Eldridge, Ammoun, Cruikshank, Foster (Smith), Tate, Hole, Crone (Denny), Burgon (Saville).