Home wins for Rye and Sidley

Matt Darby on the ball during Sidley United's 2-0 win at home to Pagham. Picture by Steve Hunnisett (eh09009g)
Matt Darby on the ball during Sidley United's 2-0 win at home to Pagham. Picture by Steve Hunnisett (eh09009g)

Rye United and Sidley United bounced back from injury time defeats four days previously with home victories at the weekend.

Sidley picked up their first win since mid-November with a very good 2-0 success against high-riding Pagham, while Rye overcame bottom club Worthing United 3-0 in Sussex County Football League Division One.

A goal in either half from Jason Taylor and Terry Payne gave Sidley a win that was all the more impressive given that goalkeeper Greg Nessling was forced off with a neck injury after 25 minutes, meaning defender Kevin Rose had to take over between the posts.

Andy Atkin converted one of four headed opportunities to give Rye a half time lead, but Worthing were very much in the game until finally being killed off by two goals in the closing 20 minutes from Matt Maclean, his 21st and 22nd of the season.

In Division Two, Westfield also enjoyed a decent result with a narrow 1-0 victory at home to in-form Midhurst & Easebourne. Jethro Warren scored the all-important goal, his third in as many matches following a double at Rustington the previous weekend.

Bexhill United were left to rue two points that got away after drawing 1-1 at home to lowly Rustington. A Jordan Woodley penalty after a Rustington player was sent-off for handball gave Bexhill a half time advantage, but the visitors nicked a point through a Chris Kirkham goal right at the end.

Little Common lost 3-1 away to Littlehampton Town in a Division Two Challenge Cup quarter-final. Littlehampton opened the scoring only for Common to go in level at the break thanks to Dominic Cruttenden’s overhead kick. Two second half goals, however, put Littlehampton through to a semi-final against Loxwood.

See Friday’s Observers for full reports on each of the above matches.