Spirited comeback thwarted by own goal

Westfield defender Tom Archer keeps a close eye on an Oakwood opponent. Picture by Simon Newstead (SUS-150802-112445002)
Westfield defender Tom Archer keeps a close eye on an Oakwood opponent. Picture by Simon Newstead (SUS-150802-112445002)

Westfield Football Club manager Jethro Warren felt a touch hard done by to have lost 3-2 at home to sixth-placed Oakwood.

The Westies recovered from an early two-goal deficit to be level at half time only for an own goal after the break to swing the game Oakwood’s way on Saturday.

It was Westfield’s third successive Macron Store Sussex County Football League Division Two defeat and only the bottom two have conceded more league goals.

Warren said: “We did probably deserve to get something out of the game. First half we were very good and we generally did what we asked of them in the second half, but once the third goal went in we panicked a little bit and the long balls started to come in.

“I’m disappointed not to get a result and I’m disappointed really with the way we lost the game, but they’re a good side.”

Warren clipped the top of the post with a spectacular long range effort and Curtis Coombes wasn’t far away with a shot from outside the box as Westfield started positively.

But they then conceded twice in barely a minute. Both goals came from long balls downfield which Warren felt Westfield should be dealing with and he blamed a lack of communication for their failure to do so.

The home side responded well, however. Warren received a pass from Jamie Bell and played a one-two with Andy Hales before slipping the ball through to Gordon Cuddington, who was scythed down by an Oakwood defender when going away from goal. Sam Willett converted the resulting penalty for his 12th goal of the season.

Warren was also involved in the equaliser. His free kick was met by Matt Dadswell, whose header was saved, but Dadswell nodded in the rebound.

Having scored at the right end, Dadswell was unfortunate to net at the wrong end for Oakwood’s second half winner. A free kick whipped in hard and low ricocheted off Warren and the player he was marking. Dadswell had to do something, but could only divert the ball into his own net as it came at him quickly.

Westfield pushed Oakwood back a bit thereafter, but struggled to create clearcut chances.

Westfield: Morris, Burt (Williams), Bell, Archer, Henham, Warren, Willett, Cuddington, Dadswell, Coombes, Hales. Subs not used: Paine, Brand, Whiteman, Holland.

Fourth-bottom Westfield will host third-bottom Saltdean United in a key game this coming Saturday. Kick-off at The Parish Field is 2pm.