Super Social go 17 points clear

St Leonards Social line up a free kick during their 1-0 victory over Peche Hill Select at Tilekiln on Saturday. Picture by Steve Hunnisett (SUS-151001-153010002)
St Leonards Social line up a free kick during their 1-0 victory over Peche Hill Select at Tilekiln on Saturday. Picture by Steve Hunnisett (SUS-151001-153010002)

The wet weather played havoc with the opening round of Macron East Sussex Football League matches in 2015.

Just 10 games involving the league’s clubs went ahead on Saturday with the rest succumbing to waterlogged pitches.

St Leonards Social moved within eight points of clinching the Premier Division title courtesy of a 1-0 victory away to Peche Hill Select. A 42nd minute penalty from Sean Noble gave Social their 14th league win out of 14.

Third-placed Ore Athletic have now caught second-placed Hollington United on points, albeit having played three games more, after beating Ninfield United 5-1.

Grant Cornelius bagged a hat-trick for Athletic, whose other scorers were Ashley Hodd and Luke Towner. Drew Holden briefly equalised for Ninfield in the 20th minute.

The top two in Division One went head-to-head and leaders Mountfield United triumphed 3-0 at home to Hawkhurst United to open up a four-point cushion. Sean Smith did the damage with a second half hat-trick.

Unbeaten Bexhill AAC, however, sit ominously in third place, only six points adrift with three games in hand. They scored four goals in the last 10 minutes to win 4-1 away to mid-table Wadhurst United, who had led through John Penny’s 27th minute strike. Zak Dangerfield, Jack Cooper, Shae Whyborne and Lee Roberts masterminded the turnaround.

Eastbourne Rangers extended their lead at the top of Division Two to eight points after hammering Pebsham Sibex 11-0.

Division Four leaders Peasmarsh United inflicted a 7-1 defeat on hosts Conquest United, whose consolation came from Mark Green. Liam Sayer netted a hat-trick for Peasmarsh, Chris Catt scored twice, and there was one apiece for Craig Pierce and Dean Wilson.

Second-placed Bexhill AAC II edged out Bexhill Rovers 4-3 despite having two of their three penalties saved by Alex Smithwick. Ben Cornelius, Craig Ray, an own goal and Doni Dovla won it for AAC, while Matt Simmons (2) and Tom Gurney replied.

Orington moved level on points with Division Six leaders Punnetts Town II courtesy of a narrow 2-1 success over bottom side Icklesham Casuals II. Scott Quested gave Orington an early lead and although Dan Russell levelled after a mazy run, Scott Brunton won it for Orington midway through the second half.

Crowhurst missed out on a place in the Sussex Bluefin Junior Cup quarter-finals after a 2-1 defeat away to Montpelier Villa II. Gary Croft equalised for Crowhurst in the second half, but they were left to rue a host of missed chances as Villa struck a 25-yard winner into the top corner.

Ticehurst had a day to forget in their tie against Nutley, which was switched to their opponents’ ground. Ticehurst were 5-0 down at half time en route to a 7-1 loss.