H&B chalk up fourth straight league win

Scrummage action from Hastings & Bexhill's win at home to King's College Hospital on Saturday. Picture by Simon Newstead (SUS-151213-103904002)
Scrummage action from Hastings & Bexhill's win at home to King's College Hospital on Saturday. Picture by Simon Newstead (SUS-151213-103904002)
  • Hastings & Bexhill win 38-11 at home to King’s College Hospital
  • H&B’s fourth consecutive Kent One victory
  • Hosts score three tries in either half at breezy William Parker
  • Result moves H&B up to third in Kent One
  • One game remaining before festive break

Hastings & Bexhill Rugby Club chalked up its fourth consecutive league victory on Saturday.

H&B triumphed 38-11 at home to King’s College Hospital in their final Kent One home game before Christmas, scoring six tries along the way.

Although they were made to work hard, H&B dominated the game from the start and deserved their win.

The wind, a heavy pitch and a spirited performance from the visitors made the first half a struggle for the home team, but H&B did manage to score three good tries before the break.

An excellent steal by Steve McManus enabled Tim Sills to make a good break down the left wing. He was held up near the line, but number eight Mark Pitrowski controlled the ball at the back of the resulting H&B scrum and dived over for a try which was converted by Bruce Steadman.

King’s College hit back swiftly, though. H&B were attacking hard when the King’s winger charged down a kick from Steadman and sprinted almost three-quarters the length of the pitch to score. The conversion narrowly missed.

H&B full-back Harry Fletcher was making some penetrating runs through the King’s defence, the best of which ended with a good inside pass to Ben Campbell, who scored a well-worked try which was converted by Steadman.

H&B continued to press; the forwards were dominant and the backs made good use of their opportunities. H&B captain Jimmy Adams won the ball at a King’s lineout and the flowing passes of the backs across the pitch resulted in Campbell setting up Sills to score a great team try in the left corner.

H&B were 19-5 up at half time, but King’s narrowed the gap with two penalties and then Chris Stern was sin-binned after H&B conceded several penalties for handling errors and offside.

Even though they were a man down, H&B still dominated the play and debutant Jake Stinson made a fantastic break in his own half, running through the King’s defence and scoring a try out on the right.

This was the boost H&B needed to seal the victory. A great backs’ move involving Chas Ackerley and Kit Claughton put Campbell in for a try under the posts which was converted by Steadman.

The home forwards pressed the King’s defence and the visiting full-back tried a kick to clear his line. Steadman charged the kick down, however, and from about five metres out scored a try which he converted with a good kick into the wind.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at facebook.com/pages/Sport-Sussex

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!