Bexhill chairman: Munday's departure a shame
Bexhill United Football Club chairman Bill Harrison said it was '˜a shame' that Marc Munday had resigned as manager.
Harrison described Munday, who stepped down after two years in charge at the end of the 2015/16 season last weekend, as an ‘honest’ character who gives total commitment to all he does.
He said: “He’s always been honest with what he’s done. He’s got a lot to offer and whatever he does he’s 100 percent - and I’ve appreciated that.
“We’ve not had a very easy year this year and it’s difficult when you’re a player-manager, especially at this level. It’s a job to do both really, but to be fair to him over the past few weeks he’s probably been our best player and I hope he carries on playing for another year.
“Marc was the right person for the club. He knew local lads and gave local lads a chance, and brought one or two people in from outside to do a job, which they did. It’s a shame, but who knows, five years down the line he might be back there as a manager.”
Harrison wished to apologise to Munday if the comment from a club spokesman in last weekend’s Observer Sport - which said the club didn’t instruct Munday to go down the route of fielding youth players - was ‘read the wrong way’ and thank him for all he’s done.
The chairman added that within a day of Munday’s resignation becoming public knowledge via www.bexhillobserver.net earlier this week, he had received ‘four or five’ calls from people keen on filling the managerial vacancy. Anybody else wishing to apply for the manager’s role is welcome to contact Harrison on 07969 097621.
“A club like Bexhill is quite a big town for the level of football it’s playing at,” added Harrison, who expects an appointment to be made in the next ‘week or two’.
“There’s some really good local talent and local talent should be nurtured, but you’re never going to have a side that wins promotion with 15 local boys. You’ve got to have a nucleus, but supporters like to see a little bit of quality from outside the area as well and we’ve got to get people coming back through the gates.”
Bexhill lost 1-0 to Eastbourne Town in the Southern Combination League Under 21 Challenge Cup final at Eastbourne United AFC tonight (Friday).
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1 Make this website your homepage
2 Like our Facebook page at facebook.com/pages/Sport-Sussex
3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex
4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!