BREAKING NEWS: Trust’s short-term solution for Rye Studio School students

Protest against Rye Studio School cuts. SUS-170314-164206001
Protest against Rye Studio School cuts. SUS-170314-164206001

The trust that runs Rye Studio School has come up with a short-term solution for affected students.

Earlier this month, Rye Academy Trust announced it was not taking on any year 10 and year 12 students at the school for the next academic year, due to a funding crisis.

In addition, it also said the studio school was withdrawing its Foundation Diploma course at the end of this academic year.

On March 14, scores of people staged a demonstration in Rye protesting against the proposed cuts to Rye Studio School.

Students, together with parents and the general public, held banners and waved placards by the train station.

But today (Tuesday, March 28), the trust has said for those students who had originally applied, it is prepared to honour the offer of a place at the studio school from September 2017.

However, the trust added it cannot guarantee that the course would continue after the first year and students would therefore potentially be expected to transfer to another institution to complete their studies from 2018-19.

The organisation said it is also highly probable year 12 and 13 courses would be combined and the curriculum will not include every subject in the prospectus.

A combined curriculum would also have to be considered with elements of the courses being taught within Rye College, and facilities being shared between the college and the studio school, Rye Academy Trust said.

Parents and students have been informed of these updates with a final decision due to be made after Easter.

A statement from Rye Academy Trust, which incorporates Rye Primary School (including the Pugwash Nursery), Rye College and Rye Studio School, said: “The trustees have worked closely and have listened to the views of the parents and students wishing to continue their education in years 10 and 12 at the studio school.

“The trust has worked hard with colleagues from the Department for Education and the Office of the Regional Schools Commissioner to find a solution.

“While we have helped a large number of students who had originally applied to come to the studio school to access alternative places elsewhere, we are aware that there remain a number of students who would still like a place at the studio school from September 2017.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.ryeandbattleobserver.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/RyeandBattleObserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @RyeObs

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Rye and Battle Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.