BREAKING: Two more bodies found at Camber Sands

The air ambulance landing on the beach at Camber Sands. Photo by @Tashka4 on Twitter SUS-160824-172733001
The air ambulance landing on the beach at Camber Sands. Photo by @Tashka4 on Twitter SUS-160824-172733001

Emergency services have recovered two more people from the sea at Camber Sands this evening (Wednesday, August 24).

Three men were confirmed dead after being pulled from the water earlier this afternoon. Now, HM Coastguard and Sussex Police have confirmed the bodies of a further two men have been found in the water, taking the total death toll to five.

Rye Bay and Dungeness Coastguard Rescue Teams, Rye Harbour and Dungeness RNLI lifeboats and the UK Coastguard search and rescue helicopter based at Lydd are currently on scene, alongside Sussex Police.

A coastguard spokesman said: “Sadly, all five men have been confirmed deceased. Our thoughts are with their families at this time.”

Chief Superintendent Di Roskilly said: “This has been an incredibly tragic situation. At this stage we are doing all we can to establish who the men are and to identify next of kin.

“We are continuing to work with the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, Royal National Lifeboat Institute, South East Coast Ambulance and Rother District Council to establish what has happened.”

The RNLI are reportedly still searching for a sixth missing person.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.ryeandbattleobserver.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/RyeandBattleObserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @RyeObs

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Rye and Battle Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.